Skip to main content

Getting Back Together with Numbers

We have had our rough patches, but you know what, we can work things out. The numbers aren't always going to tell me what I want to hear, they do, however, always tell me what I need to hear. Honestly, though, where am I getting my assumptions of what I want to hear, anyway? Why are there certain numbers that I would prefer?

Am I trying to accomplish perfect macros? I say no, and yet I check the macro chart anyway, excited to see relatively limited carbs. What are perfect macros, anyway?

 Is someone going to reward me for staying on MFP's directed target number of calories for my day? No! MFP has tons of challenges they run and there are prize winners, and let me tell you something: I complete most of those challenges, and accomplish their intended milestones pretty early on, and they don't even reward me. So, yeah, no one is giving me accolades for the numbers I accomplish here.

Look, the thing is, the numbers help me see what I am taking in. They show me the reasons why my weight is going up. They help me reflect over my days and tracking gives me the accountability and consistency of habit to return to when I feel like I'm having an off day or I don't feel like doing any of the things. This is not my only tool.

I also keep a habit journal that has nothing to do with numbers I cannot control (the scale, the caloric deficit I want to accomplish, etc). Instead, I journal my habits: tracking, reading my Bible, reading a book that I enjoy, getting in 10 minutes of movement/day, playing for 20 minutes with my kids, doing Bible study review with them, and homeschool lesson times with them, drinking 100oz of water per day, to name a few. These things don't directly change the number on the scale, but they help me to refocus on the important things in life and manage my time so I'm not revolving my day around food.

So, yes, I am back to tracking on My Fitness Pal and because I have already been paper tracking and tracking my habits, I've been able to identify when my body is hungry and it's okay to stop eating - which I have rarely done up to this point in my life (if I have a plate of food, and it's been tracked, I generally keep eating through fullness).

With this new habit of habit tracking (ha), I have also been able to watch the flow of my week and set myself up for movement success. Mondays and Saturdays are for Yoga or Yin Yoga, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are for weights, Thursdays are for core and Fridays are for cardio. Sundays are free. Do I always accomplish 6 days of working out per week? Nope. But that's okay, because you can't out-exercise a poor diet anyway. I saw a beautiful quote the other day, and I have to share, "Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what it can't."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals, Expectations, and Hitting Refresh

These past few weeks have been difficult to get on a plan and to be self-controlled. I ha ve found myself over-indulging with food, slacking in my work, and losing focus on my goals. Then I realized this week that it is because I have too many of them; which actually translates, "I have no goals at all." Have you ever sat down, made a to-do list, stared at it with overwhelming stress and anxiety, promptly set the list aside and then did nothing? Well, that's what having too may goals is. My focus is scattered, I cannot see progress in anything, I am frustrated by the sinking feeling of defeat and then I simply give up. Earlier this week, I realized the foundation of my problem and hit the reset button. After sitting down and spending some cleansing time in prayer and Bible reading, I made the most cleansing decision I have practiced in weeks: I deleted everything from my Google calendar. As I clicked, "Are you sure you want to delete this calendar, this action c...

Calorie Counting, Honest Tracking, and a Break from the Numbers

Babies at the park, whom I am capable of keeping up with For the past 6 months, I have been eating at a caloric deficit and tracking my calories on My Fitness Pal. It is a handy little app in which I can keep a recipe box, my meals are tracked and it remembers my frequently used items. I am also able to keep a close eye on my macros, and this has kept my simple carbohydrate intake in check, as I have drastically limited these and the majority of my carbs have been fruits, vegetables, and multigrain/whole grain light breads. Keeping an eye on these things has helped me to increase my protein intake and keep me better filled throughout the day. By default, this is limiting binges, grazing, and general overeating because the satiation from the protein combined with the satisfaction of my exercise have kept my success rate high! Cue last Thursday. A refreshing morning ritual that keeps me sane throughout the day Early in the week, I had decided that Friday I would not be trac...

The Vulnerability of My "Accomplishments"

I have never really been a very good crash dieter. I have "succeeded" in some endeavors, that is to say I hit a number; however, it really just comes right back on when I give myself permission to eat what I want again because I made it! Right? No. I have struggled with bulimia, over-eating, binge eating and emotional eating. Bulimia simply scared me and I didn't like the idea of vomiting or taking diarrhetics to get rid of my intake. I knew it was bad, but it seemed easier than giving up food that I enjoyed eating. Over-eating makes me feel so stuffed, it's an uncomfortable, need-to-unbutton-my-jeans feeling, so I would do that on a regular basis when eating out. So, ordering a soda, appetizer, entree, dessert, and maybe a drink if it's a fun friend's night out. Binge eating usually happens when I am bored or overwhelmed and trying to avoid what I need to do. This began to hit me when my oldest daughter began spending more time awake and eating table food. ...