Skip to main content

40 Pounds Gone!

It has been 3 months and 3 weeks since I began my weight loss journey from 251 pounds. I stepped on the scale this morning and saw the number: 208.6. This is the lowest weight I have been since hubby and I were married. This is the lightest I have been as a mom. This is the most progress I have made in any effort toward losing weight because I have never approached it from the standpoint of sustainability. There has never before been a mindset of maintenance, as our diet culture emphasizes the "quick fix," which will consistently bring short term success. I have begun maintaining habits that I know I will continue for the rest of my life.

Here are some of my small changes:

- This week I did not binge on brownies even though they are in my kitchen sitting on the counter where I work everyday.
- I am more confident in myself and the way that I look than I ever have been. I.E. I have left the house several times after only looking in the mirror once and only grabbing the outfit I want to wear (instead of obsessing over several pieces before deciding on something I hope looks more slimming), only to realize after coming home that I forgot to put on makeup! So content with myself and loving my body.
- I do not feel guilty to set aside money in the budget for new clothes, I am worth it.
- I have an amazing group I am able to share tough days with and I love the encouragement and accountability there.
- I have a workout buddy, my hubby, who supports my journey and has helped me even on the evenings that I don't feel like working out.
- When I have spent time in self-reflection it has inspired me to make the changes necessary in order to make continued progress, instead of lazing in the "woe-is-me" mindset.
- I plan my meals and I include fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
- There are boundaries that I have made with others and myself; I am kind to myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals, Expectations, and Hitting Refresh

These past few weeks have been difficult to get on a plan and to be self-controlled. I ha ve found myself over-indulging with food, slacking in my work, and losing focus on my goals. Then I realized this week that it is because I have too many of them; which actually translates, "I have no goals at all." Have you ever sat down, made a to-do list, stared at it with overwhelming stress and anxiety, promptly set the list aside and then did nothing? Well, that's what having too may goals is. My focus is scattered, I cannot see progress in anything, I am frustrated by the sinking feeling of defeat and then I simply give up. Earlier this week, I realized the foundation of my problem and hit the reset button. After sitting down and spending some cleansing time in prayer and Bible reading, I made the most cleansing decision I have practiced in weeks: I deleted everything from my Google calendar. As I clicked, "Are you sure you want to delete this calendar, this action c...

Calorie Counting, Honest Tracking, and a Break from the Numbers

Babies at the park, whom I am capable of keeping up with For the past 6 months, I have been eating at a caloric deficit and tracking my calories on My Fitness Pal. It is a handy little app in which I can keep a recipe box, my meals are tracked and it remembers my frequently used items. I am also able to keep a close eye on my macros, and this has kept my simple carbohydrate intake in check, as I have drastically limited these and the majority of my carbs have been fruits, vegetables, and multigrain/whole grain light breads. Keeping an eye on these things has helped me to increase my protein intake and keep me better filled throughout the day. By default, this is limiting binges, grazing, and general overeating because the satiation from the protein combined with the satisfaction of my exercise have kept my success rate high! Cue last Thursday. A refreshing morning ritual that keeps me sane throughout the day Early in the week, I had decided that Friday I would not be trac...

Reflecting on Progress Over Guilting Lack of Perfection

It has been about a week and I have been back on My Fitness Pal now. Great timing, right? Just before a baby shower on Saturday, an impromptu pre-Memorial Day dinner party at a friend's place and then Memorial Day, complete with picnic! Needless to say, I have been over my calorie budget each day since Friday. I do not regret it, I am not punishing myself for my choices, I am not feeling gross or completely out of line in my numbers or my decisions. I have maintained (as a matter of fact, I stepped on the scale this morning and was down 1 pound) and I am still waking up with relatively high energy levels - likely because I have been getting more sleep with the evening routine hubby and I have agreed to. How do I plan to move forward? I am working on adjusting our evening order of events, so that hubby and I are prioritizing our evening workout instead of skipping it once we sit down. I am taking a baby step in pre-tracking my food, without putting too much pressure on the eve...